Friday 8 April 2011

DIfferent Methods of Getting the Gravity Shift Effect

Now I have moved into Unity I am exploring different ways in which I can achieve the gravity shift effect required to create this game. The 3 ways that I can think to do this are:

A. Alter the gravity direction, which effects everything
I'm not sure if this is the easiest or most effective solution as I would need to find away to rotate the character so that he falls the right way up. Not only that but I don't currently have any idea how I would achieve this.

B. Rotate the world as animations, using triggers
This would be the simple option, however it would be massively time consuming, creating individual animations to rotate the world at certain points based on triggers or raycasting. Not only that but this seems like the cheap and easy way, which in the long run would be massively impractical and a hindrance to future development.

C. Rotate the character controller
This is another option, however it may interfere with the script. The theory behind this is that the physics of the character controller isn't governed by the global physics which effect the rest of the world. The character still falls along the Y-axis (down), but I aren't currently sure if it reacts to the global Y axis or its own local y axis, which could potentially be rotated, which would mean the character could "fall" in a different direction to the world.

Plan: For now I am working through a series of tutorials by VTC called Introduction to game design. From these lessons, hopefully I will develop a more solid idea for a way to solve this issue.

No comments:

Post a Comment